Skip to main content

Registration Advice

This list of advice and reminders is intended to reiterate and supplement the information you get during your appointment with your adviser, and is designed to assist you with registration and completion of your degree requirements. Contact your adviser if you have questions.

Be sure to register as early as possible so you can get the courses you want. You must see your adviser before you can register. Your adviser will remove your advising hold in STAR so that you will be able to register. We no longer use PINs.

Check the Schedule of Courses at and the Course Catalog at for information about individual courses (things like which courses meet GEC requirements, where courses are taught, restrictions and prerequisites for courses, etc).


Be sure to check your course schedule through STAR to make sure it is accurate. Make sure you are registered for the correct courses (including labs and recitation sections, writing vs. non-writing sections, etc.), the correct number of credits, etc. Any time you make a change in your schedule, check again to make sure everything is correct.


If you are granted a permit for a course, note that the permit is granted by the instructor (or departmental staff member) electronically through STAR. You must go into your STAR account and actually register for the course once the permit is granted. Instructors are not able to register you for a course; they can only grant you a permit to register. Electronic permits only allow you to register for the course through the end of the first week of classes.


If you register for a variable credit course (things like Independent Study and Field Experience), be sure to enter the number of credits you should be registered for. The default is 1 credit if you don’t enter a number of credits.


Note that some instructors may delete you from their course if you do not attend during the first week or if you do not meet the published prerequisites for a course. Be sure to attend all meetings of the courses you are registered in to avoid being dropped.


However, do not assume that an instructor will withdraw you from a course that you don’t attend. If you don’t plan to take a course, withdraw from it through STAR before the end of the first week of classes (the earlier the better, so that another student can register for the course in your place). After withdrawing, check your schedule again to make sure the course is no longer listed. If you drop a course between the end of the first week of classes and the posted deadline for withdrawing from individual courses (usually the end of the 10 week of classes), a “W” will appear on your transcript for that course, and you may be financially liable for tuition and fees related to the course.


You may not add courses after the end of the first week of classes (other than classes that begin at mid-semester). You are responsible for making sure that your schedule is complete and correct at that point. Any registration errors discovered after that cutoff can only be corrected in extraordinary circumstances and with special permission. See your adviser or instructor as soon as possible if you discover a problem.


You need to earn 128 unique credits to receive a bachelor’s degree in Arts and Sciences. If you repeat and pass a course more than once, the credits only count once. The total credits you have earned as indicated on your unofficial transcript may be incorrect if you have repeated courses, because the system does not currently correct for repeats. If you submitted a D/F repeat petition, the credits are correct. If the repeated course was not eligible for D/F repeat, or you haven’t submitted a petition, your total credits may be incorrect. Also note that there are a few cases where only one of a pair or group of courses can be counted toward graduation. For example, you cannot receive credit for both ECON 225 and STAT 211, or for more than one of GEOG 110, GEOL 101, and GEOL 110, or for more than one of GEOG 111, GEOL 102, and GEOL 111.


You can withdraw from all courses for a semester through the Thursday of the last week of classes (information available from the Registrar’s Office). If you experience serious personal difficulties and perform very poorly in a semester, you have one year in which to request a retroactive semester withdrawal from that semester (contact the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Studies; see below). After one year, requests for semester withdrawals are reviewed by a special committee, and are rarely granted.


Check your grades carefully at the end of each academic term. Grades of I (incomplete) and NR (no report) will be automatically changed to F after one semester unless they are changed by your instructor. Make sure that you have made arrangements with your instructor to complete courses with I grades during the following semester (and DO NOT register for the course again to complete missing work). If an instructor did not submit a grade for you (NR) contact the instructor or the instructor’s department chair to resolve the situation. If you receive an F for a course that you did not attend or participate in after the drop date (end of the 10 week of the semester), then contact the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Studies (see below) if you want to request a retroactive withdrawal from that course.


Be sure to apply for graduation (go to room 221 Armstrong) and complete a graduation check with Mrs. Rose Eavenson (221 Armstrong) and your adviser (or departmental staff person) the semester before you plan to graduate so any problems can be identified.