Skip to main content

Undergraduate Students

Probation and Suspension Policy

Academic probation

After all final grades are released for the fall semester, the Office of the University Registrar notifies students who have a GPA of less than a 2.0 and places them on academic probation until their GPA reaches the minimum 2.0. Probationary students must remedy their deficiency during the spring semester. Failure to do so will result in academic suspension. A student whose GPA is below a 2.0 but is not low enough to qualify for suspension will remain on academic probation. Eberly students who are placed on academic probation must call 304-293-7476 to make an appointment with an adviser.

During this meeting, students will:

  • Evaluate their progress in their current major and discuss possibility of switching to another major
  • Prepare a probation contract and a plan of study leading to graduation; the plan of study must be signed by their departmental adviser.
  • Meet with the associate dean of undergraduate studies or designee regularly during the semester.
  • Agree on a 12-credit schedule (students are not allowed to modify schedule without permission)
  • Register for ARSC 201, Arts and Sciences in the Workplace (not applicable to first-time freshmen), and/or workshops designed to help them prepare for life after graduation.
  • Maintain minimum term GPA as determined by adviser.

The plan of study and the probation contract will be used at the end of the semester if the student has to file an academic suspension and/or a financial aid appeal.

Dismissal from major

All Eberly majors require that students maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. At the discretion of the department and the dean, students with a GPA of 1.9 may be retained within their major. Students with a GPA below a 1.9 are placed in the general arts and sciences major until they improve their GPA to the desired 2.0. At that point, they can either return to their original major or switch to another major, either within or outside of the College. Students in the general arts and sciences major are advised in the Office of Undergraduate Studies, where they can explore their major and career choices. This is a temporary placement, usually for one semester. While students are listed in the general arts and sciences program, they must remain in contact with their desired program adviser, who will place a note in DegreeWorks to attest the student’s visit. The associate dean will remove the advising hold after students have also met with their desired program adviser.

Academic suspension

After all final grades are released for the spring semester, Office of the University Registrar notifies students who have a deficient GPA based on their number of credit hours. Please review the suspension guide for more information. 

Summer courses

Students who seek to improve their GPA during the summer can only do so by registering for courses at WVU, either online or face-to-face. Students whose GPA is below a 2.0 cannot transfer credits.

Academic suspension appeals

Please review the WVU Undergraduate Education Probation and Suspension website for information and guidance on appealing academic suspension and satisfactory academic progress for financial aid.

Readmission after suspension

  • Students who have been suspended need to reapply to the University. When they return to WVU, they are placed on academic probation until their cumulative GPA reaches a 2.0.
  • Upon readmission, they must contact the associate dean to discuss their probation contract and be advised for classes. Their advising hold will be lifted after their contract and advising are finalized. Typically, students should reapply mid-October (for a one semester suspension) or at the beginning of March (for a year-long suspension), so that they have time to be advised and can register after priority registration is over (typically mid-November).
  • Students who completed courses at another institution during suspension can transfer the courses as soon as they are readmitted.