Meet the May 2021 Grads: Kat Ramirez

Students from the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences will  celebrate Commencement on Saturday, May 15 as they graduate from  West Virginia University, ready to take on the world.

As Commencement is upon us, several of our Eberly College graduates reflect on their time at WVU and their plans for the future. Keep checking back through Friday, May 14 to meet all of our featured grads.

Meet May 2021 forensic and investigative science grad Kat Ramirez.

Name: Kat Ramirez

Hometown: Elkridge, Maryland

Major: Forensic and Investigative Science

How did you choose your major?

I chose my major after taking a forensic science course in high school. Seeing how it combined both my passions for science and law, it made choosing my major an easy decision.  

Kat Ramirez

How would you explain your major to an incoming student? What advice would you give them?

As a forensic and investigative science student, you get a lot of hands-on experience. Using the crime scene complex, students have the opportunity to process mock crime scenes and utilize techniques used in the real world. I would advise students coming into this program to persevere and make connections with their peers and professors.

How has your major prepared you for your future career?

Given the experience and environment that was fostered in this program, I believe I am fully equipped for a career in this field.

Kat Ramirez with classmates

How have you found resilience during these trying times? What have been your keys to getting by?

In these trying times, I have found resilience by turning to my peers and family for support. I find that talking to individuals and being able to unwind has motivated me and allowed me to push through all stressors.

How have you changed since your first year at WVU?

WVU has built on my leadership skills through opportunities such as becoming both a teaching assistant and Eberly College ambassador. As I walk away from WVU, I am much more mature and confident.

What was the hardest (Eberly College) class that you loved? Why?

Kat Ramirez with forensic science classmates in front of Woodburn Hall

The hardest class that I loved was Crime Scene Investigation I. This rigorous course, taught by Professor Robert O'Brien, pushed students to improve their investigation and analytical skills in a fast pace environment. Even in these conditions, I believe that I learned an abundant of skills and applied knowledge that will be applicable in my future career.

What will you miss the most about WVU after you graduate?

After I graduate WVU, I will miss the faculty and students in the Department of Forensic and Investigative Science. The past four years I have developed great relationships with both the staff and my peers that have made this program a memorable experience.

We recognize that life is topsy-turvy right now because of the COVID-19 pandemic. How are you planning to celebrate graduation, even in nontraditional ways?

To celebrate graduation, I plan on having a dinner and small gathering with those I love.