May 2021 Meet the Grads: Tre Tarantini

Students from the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences will  celebrate Commencement on Saturday, May 15 as they graduate from  West Virginia University, ready to take on the world.

As Commencement is upon us, several of our Eberly College graduates reflect on their time at WVU and their plans for the future. Keep checking back through Friday, May 14 to meet all of our featured grads.

Meet English and philosophy grad Tre Tarantini, who is heading to WVU’s College of Law this fall as a Bloom Scholar, a prestigious award that will cover his tuition and fees throughout law school.  

Name: Tre Tarantini

Hometown: Morgantown

Major: English and Philosophy 

How would you explain your major to an incoming student? What advice would you give them?

English and philosophy are similar in that you will get out of them what you are willing to put in. With effort and deep thought, each class can leave you with a more refined view of the world and a more nuanced way of thinking about the world. So, my advice is to give each class your all. Sliding by on C+ work is an enormous waste of opportunity.

What are your plans after graduation?
Despite many great offers and opportunities offered by other schools, I have decided to go to WVU College of Law after being awarded the Bloom Scholarship, which is a scholarship that fully covers all tuition and fees for my entire education. In addition to the very generous financial aid offer, after talking with former West Virginia district attorneys, it seems that it is also in my best interest to remain in West Virginia and form connections with the current prosecutors I will work with after I graduate.

How has your major prepared you for your future career?

Reading comprehension and logical reasoning from English and philosophy prepared me well for the LSAT. My majors helped me find success and prepare for my journey to become a lawyer.

What was the hardest (Eberly College) class that you loved? Why?

I am currently writing my philosophy thesis, advised by Dr. Dan Miller, and it has been my favorite class yet. I've spent the whole semester writing and doing research with Dr. Miller's help. It has been such a wonderful way to draw my undergrad to a close.

We recognize that life is topsy-turvy right now because of the COVID-19 pandemic. How are you planning to celebrate graduation, even in nontraditional ways?

To celebrate, we're renting an empty office space and doing a potluck-style lunch. This way we can stay out of the heat but still be socially distant and responsible.