2020-2021 Eberly Scholars: Adam Craig

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students.  Meet all of this year's Eberly Scholars.

Adam Craig
Hometown: Wheeling, West Virginia
Major: International Studies
Minors: Economics, Mathematics and Political Science

How did you choose your major?

I chose international studies because I wanted to travel, live and work as a global citizen. Before coming to WVU, I had never been west of Ohio, but in the past two years alone, I have lived on four different continents either to study or intern abroad.

Adam Craig

How would you explain your major to a new WVU student? What advice would you give them?

International studies is quite interdisciplinary in nature, as it is the study of the entire world and the systems under which it operates. I have taken classes in political science, history, economics, geography, linguistics, literature, sociology and more. For this reason, international studies as a major is extremely flexible and customizable, and students have the opportunity to declare an area of emphasis (such as international business) and a region of emphasis (such as Africa and the Middle East). Furthermore, students are encouraged to pursue a long-term experience abroad, something that can be tricky for students with less flexible majors.

How have you changed since your first year at WVU?

For so much of my young life, I wanted nothing more than to leave West Virginia, but my education at WVU has taught me so much about what it means to be West Virginian, and I have become so proud of where I come from. More importantly, I am  now dedicated to making my home state a better place.

What was your most memorable moment at WVU?

My most memorable moment was hearing the results of the Student Government Association election my freshman year. Finding out that my entire team had been elected and that I was the highest-voted senate candidate was euphoric and exciting after a long campaign.

Adam Craig with camel

What was the hardest (Eberly College) class that you loved? Why?

My Politics of the Middle East course was challenging because the classes were three hours once a week of student-led discussion on assigned readings, so preparation was essential. The books and materials for the course were incredibly interesting and relevant to my studies, and it provided me with a comprehensive survey of almost every country in the Arab world. I even got to write a research paper on the political development of Oman only months after spending a summer there studying Arabic with a Critical Language Scholarship.

Why would you recommend WVU to a sibling or friend?

You have the freedom to blaze your own trail at WVU. You will find opportunities to engage all of your skills.

Do you have a favorite professor or instructor here? What makes them special?

My favorite professor is also my academic adviser and Model United Nations coach, Dr. Clarissa Estep. She has been so instrumental in my professional and educational development and invests so much time and energy into the success of her students. I would not have had access to so many of the wonderful experiences I have had if it were not for her.

What makes you feel connected to WVU? What have been your keys to success in college so far?

The relationships I have formed with students and professors keep me grounded and engaged with the WVU community. I have made these connections in and out of the classroom. Joining student organizations is one of the best ways to find other students with similar interests and goals.

Describe the best thing that’s happened to you at WVU so far.

I traveled the world and met people from all walks of life. As a first-generation college student from West Virginia, this reality would have been unbelievable to me a few years ago.

What does it mean to be a Mountaineer?

To me, being a Mountaineer is being willing to go against the grain; however, this does not mean that a Mountaineer must go alone.

What was your reaction when you heard you were selected as an Eberly Scholar? How has this opportunity made a difference in your life?

Receiving the notification that I had become an Eberly Scholar was a rush of joy I needed after being sent home early from my internship in Tanzania due to COVID-19. It is also really validating and encouraging that the work I have put in is being recognized in this way.