2020-2021 Eberly Scholars: Georgia Beatty

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students.  Meet this year's Eberly Scholars.

Georgia Beatty
Hometown: Weirton, West Virginia
Majors: English and German Studies
Minor: History   

How did you choose your major?

I had been studying international studies, which is a great program, but I wasn't sure it was the right path for me. Then in fall 2018, I took an Honors College course with Dr. Ryan Claycomb in which we read and discussed books that were being considered for next year's campus read. That class and Dr. Claycomb reminded me of all the things I truly loved about English literature, and I switched my major to English and couldn't be happier with that decision.

As for German, the more I studied the language at WVU, the more I became invested in it. I went on a faculty-led trip to France in summer 2018 to study European law and institutions, and while there I visited Germany for the first time. Upon my return I was determined to improve my German skills. I took more German courses and had incredible instructors who inspired me to truly commit to the major and to the language. I declared German as my second major, and off I went to Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg!

Georgia Beatty studied abroad in Germany

How have you changed since your first year at WVU?

My first year at WVU, I think I had a very limited concept as to what the world was like beyond the northern panhandle of West Virginia. Since then, I've met incredible people from all walks of life, I've explored new places and I've been exposed to new languages and cultures both on campus and off campus through study abroad programs. I've been challenged in my ideas and values, and as a result of that, I've grown and evolved as both a student and a human being. I think I have a greater sense of the impact I want to and could have on the world.  

What was your most memorable moment at WVU?

I made my most cherished memory at WVU the week before I left for my year-long exchange program in Germany. It was my birthday, too, and all of my close friends gathered in Morgantown to wish me a happy birthday and to share their well wishes before my trip. That night I could just so clearly see that I had found my people and my place at WVU. I felt so grateful that this place had brought them into my life.  

Georgia Beatty in Berlin

What was the hardest (Eberly College) class that you loved? Why?

In spring 2019, I took HIST 423: The History of Fascism taught by Dr. Joshua Arthurs. The course was intellectually challenging, certainly, as I found myself confronting difficult questions about the nature of fascism and how fascist movements secured power throughout history. In writing several research papers, I waded through scholarly research and original sources, and so all of it was an exercise in time and workload management as well as intellectual thought. I absolutely loved it. For the first time, I experienced the language I was studying in the context of history, and the emphasis  on analytical thought pushed me to think about history and social, political and ideological movements in new ways.  

Georgia Beatty volunteers with Global Medical Dental Brigades

Describe the best thing thatʼs happened to you at WVU.

Before coming to WVU and taking German 101, I'd never learned a word of the language. Now as I approach my senior year, I'm building the next few years of my life around it. It's a passion I never imagined myself pursuing, but because of it, I've  met some of my best friends and have had the most incredible experiences.

What was your reaction when you heard you were selected as an Eberly Scholar? How has this opportunity made a difference in your life?

When I discovered I was selected as an Eberly Scholar, I was humbled and honored. Personally, it just means so much knowing the Eberly College values me as a student, and the scholarship will grant me access to opportunities and freedoms I wouldn't have otherwise had in my senior year. I love this University so much, and, more than anything, I'm grateful.