2020-2021 Eberly Scholars: Kyle Roberts

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students. Meet all of this year's Eberly Scholars. 

Kyle Roberts 
Hometown: Morgantown, West Virginia 
Major:  Environmental Geoscience
Minor:  Japanese Studies 

How did you choose your major?

I've always known I wanted to work with the environment, so I first decided to study civil and environmental engineering when I entered college. However, I felt that this major wasn't a perfect match for me, and I wanted to explore other options offered by WVU to help me more closely achieve my environmental goals. I love working with GIS and learning about earth systems and climate change, so I decided to switch to environmental geoscience in the Eberly College. I couldn't be happier with this decision,  an d I love what I'm studying so much now.

Kyle Roberts and friends

How would you explain your major to an incoming student? What advice would you give them? 

Environmental geoscience is an incredibly inclusive major that lets you explore the Earth, its people and its systems. You have so much room to learn about things you are interested in while still receiving a solid background in geology, geography and other environment-related courses. I would recommend this major to anyone interested in working with the environment but unsure where to start. I would also recommend taking advantage of the resources and amazing faculty in the Department of Geology and Geography. They will help you so much! 

How has your major prepared you for your future career? 

My major has allowed me to explore my interests in the environment and in Japanese, and I feel prepared for the future because of this holistic approach. I am confident in my ability to find a job where I can combine these passions, and this major's flexibility has supported me to always do and learn what I want. 

How have you changed since your first year at WVU? 

I have become so much more knowledgeable and understanding since my first year at WVU. I definitely came into college thinking that I wouldn't change or grow much, and I was incredibly set on an engineering path and linear approach to my education. Since changing my major, my goals and passions have expanded immensely, and WVU continues to help me evolve and become the educated, lively person I've always wanted to be. 

What do you want others to know about you that’s not on your resume? 

I love learning about different cultures, and I hope to live in Japan someday and combine my passions for the environment and language learning into one career. I also love learning about mental wellness, advocating for LGBTQ+ rights and exploring sustainability and what it means to be eco-friendly. 

What makes you feel connected to WVU? What have been your keys to success? 

My keys to success at WVU have been to maintain a schedule and take care of myself. I always make sure to spend time with my friends and detach myself from school and studying when needed – people need breaks, and my time with friends allows me to relax and reset for when I am learning. Also, having a routine has allowed me to stay organized and on top of my academics. I always feel happier and calmer when I know what my day will entail.

Why would you recommend WVU to a sibling or friend?

WVU has so much to offer and has so many resources as an R1 research institution. There are so many amazing faculty and staff, and there are so many majors that can satisfy any person's academic goals. Also, Morgantown is a great place to be – it's not too big, has so many things to do and provides a unique atmosphere close to nature.

Do you have a favorite professor or instructor here? What makes them special?

One of my favorite professors at WVU is my Japanese professor, Yumiko Adachi. She is the    only Japanese language professor at WVU, and she does such an amazing job at teaching classes and managing the Japanese program. She is intelligent and kind, and she always goes out of her way to make students feel appreciated and respected. She is so much fun and easy to talk to as well – I would highly recommend anyone to take Japanese if they are interested.

Describe the best thing thatʼs happened to you at WVU.

Joining WVU's Japanese Club has been one of the best experiences I have had at WVU. I have met some of my closest friends through this organization, and I have had the opportunity to interact with many Japanese exchange students and help them in their time abroad. This club has opened my eyes to the complexity of the world and shown me the significance of human interaction and culture. I am so proud to be in the club and get the opportunity to spread my love for Japan.

What was your reaction when you heard you were selected as an Eberly Scholar? How has this opportunity made a difference in your life?

I was so happy when I received the notice about being selected as an Eberly Scholar, and I felt so proud of myself. Being an Eberly Scholar will help me in my endeavors to study abroad in the future and continue to help finance my education at WVU. This opportunity feels so amazing because I am able to represent my department and supporters so widely. Overall, this scholarship allows me to continue to achieve excellence at WVU and give back to the community that is supporting me.