2022-23 Eberly Scholars: Olivia Dowler

Major: History, Spanish, and Philosophy
Hometown: Weirton, West Virginia

How did you choose your major?

I knew I wanted to be a Human Rights Attorney and loved History, so that naturally was my first major. Initially I had a minor in Spanish, but I realized I wanted to pursue it further and really become fluent in the language. Then I picked up a minor in Philosophy and when it came time to finish it, I knew I couldn’t stop there and turned it into a major.

• Olivia Dowler Photo
  • Olivia Dowler  with group
  • Olivia Dowler at WVU Game

How has your major prepared you for your future career?

As an aspiring human rights attorney, my majors prepare me in unique ways to be able to be the best I can be in my career. With History, I am able to learn about what marginalized groups have been through in the past and what were the most effective ways to fight back. With Spanish, I am able to communicate and work with many more groups of people. With Philosophy, I am able to think critically about problems and about the weight of making one decision over another.

How have you changed since your first year at WVU?

Since my first year at WVU, I have definitely become more outspoken and more confident. I also believe that I am generally a much happier person than I was before college.

What was your most memorable moment at WVU?

My most memorable moments at WVU have been leading a campaign Student Government Association earlier this year and giving a Ted Talk last fall!

What do you want others to know about you that is not on your resume?

Whether we know each other or not, I am always here to support you. If you need someone to bounce ideas off of, a shoulder to cry on, or simply someone to grab a coffee with, I am always here.

What makes you feel connected to WVU?

What makes me feel connected to WVU is definitely the community and the people. People here would give you the shirt off their back without even knowing your name or expecting praise. Everyone genuinely cares about you and your individual path to success.

What have been your keys to success?

My biggest keys to success are integrity and resilience. I didn’t really know what integrity meant until facing challenges in college. Stay true to your morals, and do the right thing. Get back up when every time you’re knocked down. One of my favorite quotes (told to me by Professor Daniel Brewster) is this: Remember that the secret of success is how happily you climb and not how high.

Do you have a favorite professor or instructor? What makes them special?

I genuinely haven’t had a professor that I didn’t like. Every faculty member in my fields truly love what they teach and help students to the fullest extent.

About Eberly Scholars

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students. 

Meet all of this year's Eberly Scholars.