2022-23 Eberly Scholars: Nathaniel Beer

Major: Communication Studies
Hometown: Buckhannon, WV

How did you choose your major?

I have always had an interest in social sciences such as psychology, sociology, communications, etc. So, I always was considering majoring in one of those fields, but it was really attending my sister’s award banquet for the communication department here at WVU that made me want to major in Communication Studies. I attended her award banquet one year and I saw what she and everyone else had done and were going on to do through majoring in Communication Studies and that really inspired me, and I decided to pursue a major in Communication Studies after that.

• Nathaniel Beer Profile photo
  • Nathaniel Beer with award

How would you explain your major to a new WVU student? What advice would you give them?

It can be difficult to define and explain what Communication Studies is, but essentially Communication Studies is an academic discipline and field of study that is rooted in a social-science perspective like psychology or sociology. Specifically, Communication Studies is the study of how people create, use, and interpret different messages to create meaning within various contexts and communication channels. I would recommend any new students who are interested in social sciences to consider majoring in Communication Studies, especially if you are interested in why and how people interact with each other. I would also recommend all students to look at Communication Studies even if they don’t have an initial interest because communication is so important and is a part of our normal everyday lives and you may just discover an aspect of communications that really interests you. 

How have you changed since your first year at WVU?

I have definitely matured and grown up since my first year at WVU, especially since this was the first year that I have lived in my own place. I have also just discovered more about myself through my time at WVU.

What was your most memorable moment at WVU?

My most memorable moment at WVU was probably the first WVU football game I attended after some of the covid restrictions were lifted. I went to some football games my freshman year, but it was the first game of this previous year that felt like my first true WVU football game as a student and that was a pretty memorable day. 

What makes you feel connected to WVU?

I feel connected to WVU because there is a real sense of community and history at WVU. My father and my sister both went to school here before me, and I have been coming to Morgantown and the campus since I was kid, so it just feels like a part of me.

What have been your keys to success?

I would say my keys to success would be being able to balance work and play. I know when I need to buckle down and get my work done, but I also know when I can relax and have some fun. I am also able to recognize when to take a break from work, so I won’t get burned out. I think really being able to manage that is important in being academically successful while still being able to have fun and enjoy life as a college student. 

Why would you recommend WVU to a family member or friend?

I would recommend WVU because WVU is large enough that can pursue any field of study that you would like, you will be able to meet many new and interesting people with different perspectives, and you will be able to have many experiences that may not be available in other areas; but WVU is also still small enough to form real connections and relationships with your professors and others within the university. 

Do you have a favorite professor or instructor? What makes them special?

There are so many great professors and instructors that I have had while at WVU that I don’t think I could choose just one as a favorite. Every professor and instructor I have had have been truly wonderful and I just couldn’t choose and name one over all of the others.

What was your reaction when you found out you were an Eberly Scholar? How has this opportunity made a difference in your life?

It was actually my birthday when I found out I was an Eberly Scholar, so I was ecstatic and thought that this was great news and a kind of gift to receive on my birthday. This opportunity will make a great difference in my life because it will help me decide what to do and how to go about my junior year at WVU, and really just be a big help during that year.

About Eberly Scholars

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students. 

Meet all of this year's Eberly Scholars.