2022-23 Eberly Scholars: Giana Loretta

Major: Political Science; Philosophy; Communication Studies
Hometown: Shinnston, WV

• Giana Lortta in Texas
  • Gianna Loretta singing
  • Giana Loretta Poster Presentation

How did you choose your major?

Long before I knew what I wanted to major in, I aspired to attend law school. Thus, I picked the majors that I felt would be the best preparation for a legal career. Originally, I came in as a Communication Studies major, and I fell in love with Philosophy and Political Science along the way.

What do you want others to know about you that is not on your resume?

I am an avid house plant collector! I have close to thirty in my apartment right now, and I love watching them all grow. Also, I enjoy singing, reading, and listening to music in my free time.

Giana Loretta Profile Photo
What have been your keys to success?

Reflecting on my WVU experience, I’ve found that there are four things everyone can do to be successful: explore, go first, keep moving forward, and remember your roots. Try new things and keep your horizons broad, but take the initiative to be the change you want to see. Know that success doesn’t equate to perfection, learn from your mistakes, and keep moving forward— whether it’s in baby steps or leaps and bounds. Finally, don’t forget the people who have helped you along the way and thank them often.

Why would you recommend WVU to a family member or friend?

WVU is staffed with a faculty that genuinely wants every student to succeed. Whatever you aspire to be, there are people who will help you make it happen. Every question that I have ever asked has been answered with enthusiasm and encouragement; this is the place for forward-thinkers and barrier-breakers.

Do you have a favorite professor or instructor? What makes them special?

Dr. Herschel Thomas in the Political Science Department has made such a significant impact on my collegiate journey. As my Honors EXCEL mentor, he has gone above and beyond in helping me transform my lofty aspirations into achievable goals. Beyond EXCEL, he served as my Faculty Mentor for the 2012 SURE program and is always connecting me to opportunities that help me grow personally and professionally.

What was your reaction when you found out you were an Eberly Scholar? How has this opportunity made a difference in your life?

I was so excited to learn that I was selected as an Eberly Scholar this year! I plan to use my scholarship to help fund a study abroad trip to Italy, and I will be forever grateful to the donors who make these opportunities possible.

About Eberly Scholars

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students. 

Meet all of this year's Eberly Scholars.