Meet the Grads: Elizabeth Young

Students from the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences will walk across the stage on Saturday, Dec. 15 as they graduate from West Virginia University, ready to take on the world.

As Commencement is upon us, several of our Eberly College graduates reflect on their time at WVU and their plans for the future.

Looking back on her career at West Virginia University, Elizabeth Young, a Charleston, West Virginia, native reflects on memories of her adventures competing on the rowing team, walking through the snow blanketed campus and the lifelong friendships she created along the way.

Her passion for history led her to double major in history and geography and obtain a minor in French . In summer 2018, the Gilman Scholarship sent Young on a four-week study abroad trip to Montpellier, France, where she was able to practice her French language speaking skills. 

“The biggest takeaway I found was actually to be more confident in my speaking of French, and it wasn’t until the very end that I felt more able to go about and visit places both in Montpellier and when I did a little bit of independent travel in Paris as well,” Young said. “So, knowing that you’re going to make mistakes speaking a second language and to just find comfort in that you’re learning. “

Elizabeth Young Headshot

Young credits her majors for expanding her perspective and opening her eyes up to a career path that will eventually lead her to becoming a professor.

“My passion for history is stronger than ever before. Through my emphasis in environmental change, I’ve learned about the environment in such a way that I never have before and how interconnected humans and the environment are,” Young said. “It’s really pushed me to want to pursue environmental history as a future graduate level degree.”

She also served as an intern in the West Virginia GIS Technical Center.

“While here not only was I on the rowing team where I met some really great women and created some lifelong friendships, but also my student internship at the West Virginia GIS Technical Center has broadened my knowledge of GIS and how important it is, and how much of a growing field it is with all of the opportunities behind it,” Young said.