Meet the Grads: Tyler Brewster

Students from the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences will walk across the stage on Saturday, Dec. 15 as they graduate from West Virginia University, ready to take on the world.

As Commencement is upon us, several of our Eberly College graduates reflect on their time at WVU and their plans for the future.

For Tyler Brewster, an Inwood, West Virginia, native and political science major, joining the Student Government Association was his first priority when he came to West Virginia University as a freshman. He has since served as an intern, a senator and a legislative director. 

Tyler Brewster Headshot

“SGA has really taught me how to get myself out there, how to talk to people, how to be personable and how to get things accomplished,” Brewster said. “I’ve set a goal, and I’ve been able to reach that goal every single year. That’s one of the things I’m most proud of at WVU.”

During his time at WVU, Brewster ran for student body president in the fall 2017 semester and won Mountaineer Idol alongside criminology major Katie Simms. He has also gained experiences through his political science major while meeting many different people. 

“What I like most about political science are the people,” Brewster said. “All of the professors are so intelligent. They know exactly what they are talking about. It’s usually a debate-based major. During class discussions, the students are always very vibrant, but they’re also respectful of what they do.”

One of Brewster’s favorite memories of his time at WVU was his first home football game, which he attended with some of his best friends and sang “Take Me Home, Country Roads,” for the first time as a Mountaineer.

“What I’ll miss most about WVU are the friends that I’ve made here and the experiences that I’ve had,” Brewster said. “Not being able to see those people every day as we move forward in our lives will be the thing that I miss most.”

Brewster credits Daniel Brewster , an instructor in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology , as one of his biggest influences at the University. He has also learned a lot from WVU leadership.

“WVU is unique in terms of other land-grant universities across the nation because we are the lifeline of the state of West Virginia,” Brewster said. “Being a Mountaineer means empathizing with the rest of the state and really helping as many people in the state as we possibly can. Being able to see all these people who genuinely care about the state moving forward has taught me a lot about how one institution, WVU, can have such an impact on the state as a whole.”