Eberly graduate students receive Foundation scholarships to support research

Eight West Virginia University graduate students from across the U.S. and beyond are engaging in meaningful research as they complete their degrees with support from WVU Foundation scholarships.

Eight graduate students in a four by two grid. Eberly College graduate students are described and pictured below.

The Office of Graduate Education and Life announced four doctoral students selected to receive the WVU Foundation Distinguished Doctoral Scholarship and four master’s students chosen to receive the Carl del Signore Foundation Scholarship. The awards help students defray costs and support the completion of their theses or dissertations. 

Three of the awardees are Eberly College students.

WVU Foundation Distinguished Doctoral Scholarship Awardees

An international student from Ekiti, Nigeria, Tobi Ore is pursuing a doctorate in geology from the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences.tobi ore

“This award holds immense significance to me, as it will assist in successfully finishing my dissertation on advancing machine learning-aided seismic interpretation and inversion for subsurface characterization,” Ore said. “Through this work, I aim to enhance current industry automated interpretation workflows, offering better flexibility to complex geological structures and stratigraphy. The anticipated outcome of my dissertation holds promise for more efficient subsurface characterization, making a substantial contribution to the pursuit of sustainable energy solutions and the transition to a carbon-neutral future.”

Carl del Signore Foundation Scholarship Awardees

Connor Lambert, of South Royalton, Vermont, is working toward a master’s degree in psychology with a focus on behavioral analysis at the Eberly College.connor lambert

“The use of this award will help to fund my current research project, understanding factors that contribute to the development and maintenance of pathological gambling disorder, and will aid in the development of my dissertation and other research concerning maladaptive decision-making,” Lambert said. “This scholarship will help me to focus on my academic pursuits without worrying as much about the associated financial burdens.”

A native of Olathe, Kansas, Lacey Leatherland is completing her master’s degree in forensic and investigative science at the Eberly College.Lacey Leatherland

“This award has assisted me with travel costs associated with participation at conferences where I can share my research findings on the forensic examination of electrical tapes,” Leatherland said. “Specifically, my project focuses on the elemental analysis of electrical tapes using micro-X-ray fluorescence spectrometry, while further assessing a previously developed quantitative spectral similarity metric, the spectral contrast angle ratio, to provide a foundation for the future development of consensus-based protocols. In addition to this, I am evaluating how common fingerprint development chemicals affect the elemental profiles of electrical tapes, to provide forensic examiners with recommendations for the proper workflow for cross-disciplinary tape evidence examinations.”

For more information about WVU Foundation graduate scholarships, contact Jessica Queener, assistant provost for graduate education policy, at Jessica.Queener@mail.wvu.edu.

Gifts to support the two scholarships are made through the WVU Foundation, the nonprofit organization that receives and administers private donations on behalf of the University.

cr/01/31/24

MEDIA CONTACT: Cassie Rice
Senior Communications Specialist
WVU Foundation
304-554-0217; crice@wvuf.org

Call 1-855-WVU-NEWS for the latest West Virginia University news and information from WVUToday.

This article is republished from WVU Today — read the original article.