2022-23 Eberly Scholars: Alexander Dean

Major: Political Science and International Studies
Hometown: Morgantown, WV

How did you choose your major?

When I first came to WVU, I was a history major. But I quickly realized after the first political science class that I took, Introduction to International Relations, that, while I adored learning about history, I wanted to make a career out of understanding, researching, and explaining political behavior and our political system.

• Alexander Dean Profile Photo
  • Alexander Dean Profile Photo
  • Alexander Dean Profile Photo

How would you explain your major to a new WVU student? What advice would you give them?

The political science major offers students diversity in courses, multiple areas of emphasis to concentrate in, and plenty of elective space that allows students to explore their passion and interests in the social sciences and beyond. Students are able to choose their area of emphasis, whether that be international relations, American politics, law and legal studies, or another area, and are then able to take a wide variety of classes that span the spectrum of political science, from political philosophy to intelligence analysis, to political psychology. These classes have a broad application and give students critical thinking skills and superb writing skills that are valued by law schools, the government, and many companies. Additionally, while I have loved my political science classes here at WVU, one of the best benefits of the political science major is its flexibility. I’ve had plenty of time to explore my other academic interests and passions. Thus, I would tell new students to not be afraid of taking an elective that sounds interesting, it may become a newfound interest for you.

How has your major prepared you for your future career?

The political science major has given me the opportunity to hone my writing skills, speaking skills, and my ability to critically think about the complex problems that our society and the world faces today. These skills are highly sought after by jobs of all shapes and sizes. I plan to go to graduate school in political science to earn my PhD and eventually become a professor. I feel that the political science major at WVU and especially my professors, have helped me to realize my passion for political science research

How have you changed since your first year at WVU?

I have changed a lot since my freshman year. The most unexpected change I faced was the realization that, even as an adult, that I would continue to change and grow in different ways that I didn’t expect at the onset of college.

What have been your keys to success?

My keys to success are mostly a mix of having amazing professors who care about helping students to their greatest potential and reaching out for opportunities, rather than letting opportunities pass me by.

What does it mean to be a Mountaineer?

A Mountaineer is someone who forges their own path and never forgets that they alone have the keys to their future.

About Eberly Scholars

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students.  

Meet all of this year's Eberly Scholars.