Interdisciplinary Research Collaborative
About the Collaborative
The Eberly College of Arts and Sciences' Interdisciplinary Research Collaborative for a Safe and Healthy Society has a mission to advance the land grant mission of West Virginia University and the Eberly College by addressing challenging conditions faced by society in the state and region. Its aims are:
- Fully utilize the resources and expertise of the faculty, students and staff across WVU who have worked in communities in the state and region to address three substantive areas:
- Substance use prevention and treatment, drug policy and national trends of drug use and distribution.
- Social determinants of health, health/health care policy and medical sociology.
- Crime and its effects on communities and families, crime prevention and policy.
- Bring together an initial group of faculty associates who are committed to collaboration.
- Build an infrastructure which can support and sustain ongoing research efforts to:
- Establish a team of Eberly College faculty who have relevant substantive and methodological expertise to address the need for an evidence base for interventions and strategies to address societal needs relative to safety and health.
- Engage graduate and undergraduate students in all Eberly College departments, schools and programs in this research with aims of developing interdisciplinary research competencies.
- Build a broad base of research evidence to be disseminated locally and nationally.
- Provide data and research findings that are accessible and relevant to the needs of local communities and state and federal agencies.
News and events
Planting seeds for a safe and healthy society - May 10, 2020
The collaborative’s first initiative was a seed grant program funded by the Eberly College Office of the Dean and WVU Extension Service. Five projects were awarded for 2020. Read more about the grants in the news release.
Eberly College Leadership
- Duncan Lorimer, Eberly College Associate Dean for Research; Professor of Physics and Astronomy - Duncan.Lorimer@mail.wvu.edu
- Helen Hartnett, Collaborative Coordinator; Professor of Social Work - Helen.Hartnett@mail.wvu.edu
- Adam Baus, Public Health - email@example.com
- Melissa Blank, Psychology - Melissa.Blank@mail.wvu.edu
- Henry Brownstein, Sociology and Anthropology - Henry.Brownstein@mail.wvu.edu
- Lupe Davidson, Eberly College Office of the Dean; Women’s and Gender Studies - Lupe.Davidson@mail.wvu.edu
- Geri Dino, Public Health; Prevention Research Center - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julie Dudley, Sociology and Anthropology - Julie.Dudley@mail.wvu.edu
- Cindy Fitch, Extension Service - email@example.com
- Maja Holmes, Public Administration - Maja.Holmes@mail.wvu.edu
- Dana Huebert Lima, Honors College; Biology - Dana.Huebert-Lima@mail.wvu.edu
- Katie Kang, Communication Studies - Katie.Kang@mail.wvu.edu
- Kevin Larkin, Psychology - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary LeCloux, School of Social Work - Mary.LeCloux@mail.wvu.edu
- Deana Morrow, School of Social Work - Deana.Morrow@mail.wvu.edu
- Scott Myers, Communication Studies - Scott.Myers@mail.wvu.edu
- James Nolan, Sociology and Anthropology - email@example.com
- Melanie Page, WVU Office of Research; Psychology - Melanie.Page@mail.wvu.edu
- Chris Plein, Public Administration - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lauren Prinzo, Extension Service - email@example.com
- Carrie Rishel, School of Social Work - Carrie.Rishel@mail.wvu.edu
- Margaret Stout, Public Administration - Margaret.Stout@mail.wvu.edu
- Jiyoung Tabone, School of Social Work - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Totzkay, Communication Studies - Daniel.Totzkay@mail.wvu.edu
- Nicholas Turiano, Psychology - email@example.com
- Dana Voelker, Physical Activity and Sports Science - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karen Weiss, Sociology and Anthropology - Karen.Weiss@mail.wvu.edu
- Stephen Ballant, Eberly College Office of the Dean - Stephen.Ballant@mail.wvu.edu
- Erica Bentley, Eberly College Research Office - Erica.Bentley@mail.wvu.edu
- Dillon Butler, Eberly College Office of the Dean - email@example.com
- Leamarie Herron, Eberly College Research Office - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amanda Wood, Eberly College Development Office - Amanda.Wood1@mail.wvu.edu
How to get involved
The Collaborative welcomes faculty from across West Virginia University to participate in discussions and planning. To join the member email list, contact Helen Hartnett at Helen.Hartnett@mail.wvu.edu.