2022-23 Eberly Scholars: Sarah Heilman

Major: Political Science and Finance
Hometown: Wheeling, WV

How did you choose your major?

I started at WVU only majoring in finance, and while finance is a great major, I knew I wanted to go to law school. Therefore, I added political science as a major with an area of emphasis in pre-law. My political science classes, like constitutional law and criminal law, have helped me prepare for law school by introducing topics that I will cover in law school.

How has your major prepared you for your future career?

Political science has prepared me for my future career by allowing me to take classes covering topics that I will cover in the future. In addition, in political science, I do a lot of reading and writing which is excellent practice for when I am a lawyer!

• Sarah Heilman at Graduation
  • Sarah Heilman holding WVU Let's Go flag after swimming

What was your most memorable moment at WVU?

I am a member of the club swim team at WVU, and I have made some of my favorite memories at WVU in the swimming pool. This past April, we attended Club Nationals in Atlanta, Georgia. We had such a fun time racing and getting to know each other better.

What was the hardest (Eberly College) class that you loved? Why?

I think the hardest class I took in Eberly College is Intro to Political Theory. It certainly introduces a different way of thinking, but it was interesting to analyze some important readings in political science.

What makes you feel connected to WVU?

I am from West Virginia, but the fact that my older sister attended WVU makes me feel most connected to WVU. I currently have three cousins who are attending WVU right now too, and the fact that I have family here makes me feel most connected! Furthermore, I have made the best friendships her that I know I will keep for the rest of my life.

What have been your keys to success?

My keys to success would be creating a plan of what you want to get done every day and prioritizing your mental health. Every day I make a list of everything I want to do that day which helps me stay on track. If I do not finish the list for a day, the items that I didn’t do goes to the top of the list for the next day. In addition, I make sure I make time to take care of myself. It is easy to feel like you are not being productive when you are simply relaxing; however, I found the breaks that I give myself allow me to focus better on my work when I need to get assignments done.

What was your reaction when you found out you were an Eberly Scholar? How has this opportunity made a difference in your life?

I was very surprised to find out that I was an Eberly Scholar, I was a 2021-2022 Eberly Scholar, and I did not think that I would be honored again (In fact I almost didn’t apply!). Being an Eberly Scholar has made a difference in my life in many ways. First, the scholarship lessons my financial burden. However, more importantly, I am always amazed by my classmates. They are constantly making excellent arguments in class and are all so dedicated to their studies. It has been an incredible confidence booster to be honored as an Eberly Scholar for two years!

About Eberly Scholars

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students.   

Meet all of this year's Eberly Scholars.