2022-23 Eberly Scholars: Laura Rose Atkinson

Major: Political Science, AOE- Pre-Law and Legal Studies
Hometown:
Morgantown, WV

• Laura Atkinson Profile
  • Laura Atkinson profile photo
  • Laura Atkinson profile photo

How did you choose your major?

I originally came into WVU as an undecided major in the honors program. It was through the assistance of my 191 seminar to utilize the tools to learn about myself, my goals, and my expectations for my future that allowed me to consider the social sciences as a major. Once I enrolled in POLS 102, I fell in love with the major and couldn’t wait to learn more!

How would you explain your major to a new WVU student? What advice would you give them?

Political Science is a mix of social sciences and applications to real-world policy, social, and public issues. The theory-based classes are a lot less focused on scientific truth, but rather emphasize what society deems the truth and discussions based on the differences. However, there is still a very scientific approach to the research and economic-sided courses that lay the foundation for the process of analysis of all Political Science courses.

How has your major prepared you for your future career?

This major’s required courses, specifically for the Pre-Law and Legal Studies AOE, has introduced me to the thought processes behind the American Legal system and how all decisions are influenced, executed, and enforced. My dream of going to law school is facilitated through these courses, as well as several philosophy courses I’ve taken alongside my Poli Sci courses to fill requirements.

What do you want others to know about you that is not on your resume?

I am heavily involved in my community. Raised by a single mother who is a teacher, I learned very quickly that it takes a village to assist in daily life, in order to focus on studies and become successful. I assist the middle school band, as well as choreograph for the Morgantown High School Red and Blue Marching Band. Being able to provide an opportunity for people to share our love and passion for music and dance is the most fulfilling experience I’ve taken part of.

What have been your keys to success?

Focusing on my classes and having steady work allows me to focus on school. The most important part of my life has always been my education. I am incredibly grateful to have bosses that understand this importance and compromise to ensure I am successful in the future. 

What was your reaction when you found out you were an Eberly Scholar? How has this opportunity made a difference in your life?

Seeing an e-mail pop up from a mix account while at work is always nerve-wracking. However, once I saw the email had an attachment about the Eberly College Scholar application, my heart rate jumped through the roof. Once reading the document, I remember jumping out of my chair and sharing the news with my boss at the law office I intern. It was a surreal feeling of recognition and validation for all of the work I had put in these past few years to further my knowledge and career.   

About Eberly Scholars

In association with the ongoing generosity of the Eberly family, the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board established the Eberly Scholars program in 1988. Each year, up to 25 students majoring in the arts and sciences are designated as Eberly Scholars. They are provided with scholarship support in recognition of their outstanding academic achievement. This award is the Eberly College’s most prestigious scholarship honor for undergraduate students.  

Meet all of this year's Eberly Scholars.